3.13 The Breakfast Badge
As we have come to expect by now, the Squirrels preferred breakfast foods in the Breakfast Badge are a good reflection of their personalities. My particular favourite is Norrie’s love of shakshouka, and not just because it is delicious.
Round with a plate of full English breakfast in a smiley face.
Tag is playing with his dinosaurs at breakfast. He is late for Squirrel Club and doesn’t eat his breakfast. Duggee promises his mum he will get something to eat.
The other Squirrels are just about to complete an impressive Clubhouse complex when Tag trips in.
Tag gets Happy’s name wrong, tells Norrie he doesn’t like her block Enid and collapses into Roly’s creation. Duggee reassures them that he’s just low on energy because he didn’t eat his breakfast. Fortunately, Duggee has his Breakfast Badge. They head to the kitchen.
With all the breakfast things spread out on the table the other Squirrels tell Tag what they have for breakfast:
- Betty’s long-suffering dad makes her cereal, just the way she likes it.
- Happy’s mum makes him pancakes. She mixes egg, milk and flour and cooks it in a pan. The best bit is when she flips it into space.
- Roly’s granddad catches him kippers for breakfast. He exaggerates how big they are.
- Norrie’s dad makes a big bowl of shakshouka for her and all her brothers and sisters. It’s got tomatoes, chillies, peppers and eggs in it.
Happy wanders what chickens eat for breakfast if there are no eggs. They talk about what the other animals eat:
- Chickens eat pellets.
- Cow eats grass.
- Goat eats washing.
- Tino’s breakfast must be a work of art. A cheese landscape, surreal meats, an olive oil portrait and condiments on a pallet of bread.
- Hennie eats a fruit salad – an entire tree.
- King Tiger claims to keep things simple. His tea comes from the rare fruit of the bebop tree and his milk from a herd of pixie cows. It’s all brought to him on the backs of fluffy llamas.
- Naughty Monkey eats bananas.
- Mr Crab enjoys churros for breakfast. Churros are a Spanish doughnut.
- Nigel, on the other hand, prefers arepas. Arepas are a South American maize bread.
- The rabbits share a carrot.
- Enid likes kippers. She steals from Roly’s plate.
- Ethel likes a mountain of greens.
- Lord Fingal has porridge with sea salt for breakfast.
- Katerina likes prawns.
- Hedgeley likes dried beetles.
- Frog eats flies for breakfast.
- Hatsu keeps things as simple as King Tiger. Steamed rice, miso soup, grilled fish, pastries, eggs, bananas, fruit, sausages, ham, noodles and chocolate milk is all her heart desires.
Tag still can’t decide until Norrie asks what he normally has. He usually has toast. They all enjoy a slice and Tag feel much better.
- Breakfast foods with Duggee’s face. Honey, eggs, juice, cereal, porridge, bread and jam.
Close and Credits
The Squirrels have earned their Breakfast Badges.
Duggee is still hungry.
Duggee wears his chef’s outfit for the majority of the episode.
Get Your Breakfast Badge
What do you have for breakfast? What new ones would you like to try?